I know it's been awhile since I posted last. A lot, and I mean a LOT has happened since then.
We had our first appointment with the specialist on the 15th (yay! Happy anniversary to us!)
The doctor was not as bad as I had first feared. I can understand why some people really did not like him as he does NOT sugar coat the truth and lays it all out on the table.
The Cyst - the CT scan that I had in June indicated that I had a 6cm cyst on my left ovary that they suspected was a dermoid cyst. This is the type of cyst that can be malignant or, if left alone, can turn malignant. Therefore, the doctor recommended surgery. A surgery that would leave me off work for 1 - 1.5 months! I know that as an accountant, I don't really have a strenuous job, however, there are only a few times during the year that I can take 1.5 months off work and not be killed for it. I had a lot of thinking to do to determine when I should go for the surgery. My options were:
1. Christmas time - Merry Christmas to me!
2. May/June - after tax season but before my heavy study time kicks in.
The sooner the cyst is dealt with, the sooner we can proceed with possible treatments, should we go that route. Also, obviously, if it is malignant, the sooner we remove it, the better. So...I was in line for surgery. A surgery that could result in the removal of the ovary should the doctor get in there and find the cyst deeply ingrained in the ovary. Hmmm...maybe a little bit of sugar coating would have been nice...
To Ovulate or Not to Ovulate...That is the Question...
The next thing to figure out was whether or not I was even ovulating. Although my charting indicated a relatively clear temperature shift (less so in more recent months), the dr. ordered an ultrasound on day 12 to determine whether or not I was ovulating. The day prior, my GP had ordered an ultrasound to have a look at what was going on my right side. So, I contacted my GP to make sure that she was ok with me combining the two ultrasounds. She was ok with that.
So, on day 12, I show up for the ultrasound (btw...NO ONE told me it was an internal ultrasound - THAT was a fantastic surprise! *insert sarcasm here*) So, the ultrasound tech was kind of useless - he was doing a standard day 12 U/S, even though I kept asking him to have a look on the right side as well. He basically ignored me. Then the dr. came in, had a look, told me I had one follie on my right side forming. When he was trying to leave the room, I told him I wanted to discuss timing for the surgery.
Dr: "What surgery?" Wow...thanks for looking at my chart before coming to see me.
Me: "For the cyst."
Dr: "What cyst?" Finally picks up my chart and looks at it. Mutters to himself "6 cm cyst on left ovary"
Dr to tech: "Go to the left ovary"
Tech: *jab towards left side of body*
Dr: "There's no cyst there."
Yeah, no cyst on left ovary. Wow. A part of me wonders what kind of crack the CT scan tech was on. Another part of me realizes what a powerful and amazing God we have.
Me: "Okay...so, did you get the results of my husband's analysis?"
Dr: "Hmmm...everything looks normal except for one number. We want to see about 50% moving forward and he only has 30%." Dr. then leaves room before I can ask any more questions. Like "WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN???" If only 30% are moving forward, what the hell is the remaining 70% doing? Sitting on their asses? Going in the wrong direction?
So...that's where we are now. I go for more blood work tomorrow (day 22-26) to determine whether or not that one lonely follie actually matured into an egg. Hell, even if it did, apparently my husband's little guys aren't gonna find it because they are going in the wrong direction.